P.O. Box 291
Carbondale, IL 62903
Mon - Sat. 12pm - 4:30pm
Sun 1pm - 4:30pm
Closed Tues and Holidays
10/28/13 Hughbert on His way to find his Forever Home
The Humane Society of Southern Illinois often works closely with other animal rescue groups to try and find the best homes possible for the largest number of animals we can. Cache Creek Animal Rescue has kindly offer to accept Hughbert into their program and have him participate in their adoption events at Shorewood, IL. We all wish the best for Hughbert and are so glad we could take him in and help him in his time of need!
Your generous donations help us make stories like this possible. Often so many animals just need a place to stay and be cared for as their life circumstances change. So, THANK YOU to all of our generous supporters who have helped us to help dogs like Hughbert as well as any future "Hughberts" to come!
Do You Remember Hughbert??
We posted about him a few weeks ago and wanted to provide an update regarding his overall health and happiness. We were able to check his blood work again and turns out his liver is doing just fine. He was able to start a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory about a week ago and now he is running around like a 5 year old again! It is absolutely the cutest thing you've ever seen. A little old man dog running and playing in a way you wouldn't believe. He doesn’t even seem to mind being picked up as much anymore. He is completely healed from his neuter and seems to be doing well with crate training. He will let you know when he needs out to potty and occasionally when he is due for a snuggle. Lately he has been riding along on pick up and drop off trips in our new van and he loves to go! He seems to do well with other dogs that have his level of maturity and would do better in a home with no small children. If he sounds like a good fit for your home come down and meet him we are sure that you will fall for him as hard as we have.
Meet Hughbert and Please Help Him if You Will?
He is looking for some TLC from a nice foster family. This little guy weighs 11lbs and we believe him to be an 8 yr old Jack Russell/Schnauzer mix. Hughbert has had a rough life and now he needs a stable & calm home to enjoy his senior years. He was brought to us on September 3rd, 2013 because his father passed away and the family was unable to find him another home. He is a sweet old man, that is a little slow moving and a little stressed with all of the stimulation at the shelter. Hugh loves to be held, he relaxes in your arms and you can tell that he just wants to feel safe. He does get a little nervous when people go to pick him up, but I think a lot of that has to do with pain from the pellet in his back.
Thanks to the Veterinary Technician school we have been able to do the following medical care:
- Heartworm test (negative)
- Full vaccination, Rabies has not been done yet.
- Neuter- once his testicles were removed the doctor saved them because they are abnormal. The cause of which is unknown unless a histopath is performed.
- X-rays, which found that he has a pellet lodged into his back, which is causing his vertebrae to be misaligned. Poor Hugh, seems to be in some pain from this but he is a fighter. The x-rays also showed that he has healed broken bones in his left rear leg, this is also the leg that has a bad knee.
- Urinalysis, which all okay except for his liver level, which was shown to be high (bili +++). Further testing would have to been done to determine if this is something indicating liver issues.
- The students were also able to run bloodwork that showed all of his levels in the normal, except for his two liver levels (ALP & ALT), which were just slightly above normal. Further testing would need to be performed because these numbers can fluctuate a lot due to a variety of reason.
Do you know anyone that can help give Hugh a second chance at a happy & love filled life?
HSSI Got a New Van!
Our old 1997 truck finally retired after a lot of useful service and many miles. Big thanks to our nice sales consultant Obadele "Oba" Oyeilumi at Vogler Ford who sold us our new-to-us van. We finally traded in our 1997 truck for a used van to take animals to the vet and haul cat litter, etc. We appreciate Oba's help. If you are in the market for a used or new car, he is a very nice guy with whom to work. Pictured are Oba, our manager Lora, and Taska, who is up for adoption.
Denzel & Hayes were the first to ride to the vet in our new van!! It was a stress free trip to get neutered today, the van is great!